Perhaps even with no challenge it's still possible to create choices that are meaningful, expressive and allow for a conversation between player and designer.That's exactly what Pugh and Wreden explore in their brief talk, which was absolutely worth watching. If you missed it in person, no worries you can now watch the whole thing for freeover on the official GDCYouTube channel.About the GDC VaultIn addition to this presentation, theGDC Vaultand its newYouTube channeloffers numerous other free videos, Cheap RS Gold audio recordings, and slides from many of the recentGame Developers Conference events, and the service offers even more membersonly content for GDC Vault subscribers.Those who purchased All Access passes to recent events like GDC, GDC Europe, and GDC Next already have full access to GDC Vault, and interested parties can apply for the individual subscription viaa GDC Vault subscription page. Group subscriptions are also available: gamerelated schools and development studios who sign up for GDC Vault Studio Subscriptions can receive access for their entire office or company by contacting staff via theGDC Vault group subscription page. Finally, current subscribers with access issues cancontact GDC Vault technical support.Gamasutra and GDC are sibling organizations under parent UBM Tech Gamasutra Road to the IGF: Superhot Team's Superhot
<intro></intro>This interview is part of our Road to the IGF series. You can find the rest by clicking here.In 2013, a small team at the7Day FirstPerson Shooter game jam stumbled on a unique formula. Inspired by a flash game called Time4Cat,Runescape Gold and a music video from the Russian band Biting Elbows, they came up with a firstperson shooter calledSuperhot.When they released a demo onlinein September of 2013, the game's one sentence pitch Time moves when you movecaught the eyeof press and developers alike, and it exploded in a fit of online popularity.Three years later, Superhotprepares to launch on PC and Xbox One, and has been nominated for the IGF Seamus McNally Grand Prize, and the award for excellence in design. Speaking to Gamasutra by email, director Piotr Iwanicki broke down his thoughts onSuperhot'spath to release, and what lessons transferfrom Flash game development to other forms of game design.What's your background in making games?Piotr Iwanicki: I started out as a kid, doing some simple programming. Then I did Quake levels. Then I forgot about it for many years and tried doing different things. But making games was deeply engraved in me and I didn't feel happy until I started making them for real. I was developing small flash games by myself,RS 3 Gold then quickly started forming small teams, always focused around a project.With every project you learn something and all my experience as a programmer and designer comes from solving practical game development problems, trying hard to make something exceptional, working hard every day.What development tools did you use to build Superhot?Iwanicki: Superhot wasdeveloped in Unity engine.How much time have you spent working on the game?Iwanicki: Superhot has been in development since August 2013, when we started up as a game jam project made of 7 Day FPS Challenge. We've been working fulltime since then in a growing team. It's a fantastic experience of pushing your own limits every day.How did you come up with the concept?Iwanicki: As it always comes with original ideas, it came from random mashing of thoughts.